Looking after yourself and your mates!
Holidays and the break from school can be exciting, fun and relaxing, however for some people it can be a sad, lonely, emotional or stressful time, particularly if they have experienced challenges during the year such as loss of a loved one, family or friendship difficulties or have an existing mental illness such as depression or anxiety. Additional holiday challenges may include loneliness and boredom.
So what can we do to support ourselves, family and friends?
- Simply be aware of how you and those around you are travelling and don’t be afraid to ask RUOK?
- If possible ensure family and friends are included in holiday activities
- Consider taking up a hobby, sport, activity or volunteering for a worthwhile cause
- Get involved in your local council holiday activities programs. See below www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/youth
- If you are aware that you or a loved one might struggle during the holiday period ensure appropriate supports are in place (personal and professional)
Immediate assistance – 24 hours a day, 7 days per week
- Life line – 13 11 14 or visit www.lifeline.org.au
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800 or visit www.kidshelp.com.au
- Southern Health – ELMHS Psychiatric Triage Service– 1300 369 012
- Ambulance, Police or Fire – 000 or 112 (some mobile networks)
- 1800 Respect: 24/7 line which people can call for advice about family violence or sexual violence. It is run by counsellors who can do referrals.
Other help and support
- Beyond blue information line – 1300 22 4636 – will operate 24/7 over the holiday period for anyone needing information on depression, anxiety and related drug and alcohol problems
- Eheadspace – a service for young people aged 12-25 years providing help from a trained professional either by phone 1800 650 890 (9am to 1am), live on-line chat or email at www.eheadspace.org.au (7 days per week, 9am to 1am)
- Headspace – helping young people through a tough time at www.headspace.org.au
- ReachOut.com – Australia’s leading youth mental health service at http://au.reachout.com
- The Hub: Kooweerup Youth Centre – drop in centre, no cost, no appointment required. Informal and confidential service for young people aged 10 to 25. Open Wednesdays 12 to 4.30pm. Hewitt Eco House, 215 Rossiter Road Kooweerup. Phone Brian on 5997 9687 for more information.
- My Place youth facility (5-7 Main St. Pakenham) – see www.cardinia.vic.gov.au/youth