Kooweerup Higher Elementary School commenced in 1952 in a wooden building of eight rooms which had served as the Yallock Primary School from 1884. Following much work and pressure from the community, Kooweerup High School was established in 1957 with an enrolment of 164 pupils. In the 1950’s an influx of Dutch and Italian families settled in the area for its rich soils and water sources, perfect for farming cattle, and growing potatoes, but it is mostly well known for being Australia’s largest commercial asparagus growing region.
The name Koo Wee Rup is derived from the Koori translation for “plenty of blackfish” or “blackfish swimming.” These Blackfish can be found in many creeks, streams, and rivers in the Gippsland area with our township being established on marsh land. The title “Blackfish” is currently used to represent our School Magazine and has done so since 1958. Including our Blackfish Magazine, moving forward we aim to use Blackfish to encompass “The Arts” within the college such as Blackfish Arts, Blackfish Gazette, Blackfish Productions, and so on.
Koo Wee Rup Secondary College has been a pillar of support to all in the community, and over the decades has conducted and assisted in many community based events. Throughout the years Koo Wee Rup Secondary College has continued to support its residents through a long proud history of academic achievement, and has become the college of choice throughout the rural region of Gippsland and Westernport Bay.
This is evident by the return of our previous students who now have their own families, and would like them to begin their high school education with us. We hope to continue to support our local community as your main preference for education for the years to come.