The primary focus of Learning at Kooweerup SC is to help each student develop a pathway suited to their needs and talents, which then allows them to strive for their personal best and move with confidence and understanding into the community and the future.
- We want them to have the knowledge, skills and work habits to pursue their interests and career goals.
- We want them to be responsible and independent young people who value lifelong learning.
- We want them to develop social skills, especially resilience and compassion, so that they can be sensitive to the needs of others, make appropriate decisions and have the courage to speak up.
- We want them to have the ability to effectively use digital technologies for learning and communication and also the knowledge and understanding to respond to its challenges.
An integral aspect of our 21st century curriculum has been the incorporation of the New Pedagogy for Deep Learning framework and the of the key 21ST century competencies.
The College offers a broad based curriculum from Years 7 to 9 comprising core (compulsory) subjects and electives in Year 9. These subjects then lead on to a selection of subjects at the Senior level through a Year 10 and VCE program or through a three year VCAL program. For details about the subjects please see the following documentation: Whole school curriculum Spreadsheet FINAL Advanced students are encouraged to undertake electives which extend their abilities and to consider completing Year 11 VCE units in Year 10 and Year 12 VCE units in Year 11. The S.E.A.L. Academy program is also available for academically gifted students in Years 7, 8, 9 and 10. Students who require additional learning support can:
- Access Integration support if they are eligible for funding
- Undertake modified work in an individual subject
- Attend the Homework Club on Thursdays after school where free tutoring is available
The College operates on a 5 day timetable. There are 5 periods a day with each lesson 58 minutes.
INTRODUCING THE VICTORIAN CURRICULUM
Foundation – 10 Curriculum
The Victorian Curriculum F-10 is the new curriculum for Victorian schools. It incorporates the Australian Curriculum and reflects Victorian standards and priorities.
The AusVELS curriculum was the initial incorporation of the Australian Curriculum areas of English, Mathematics, History and Science into the Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS). The AusVELS curriculum will continue to be available until December 2016.
Until December 2016